Friday 9 September 2011

Destination Manchester



I’m definitely converted to train travel, thanks to Virgin Trains and the warm and friendly staff. It is so therapeutic. I whiled away the time drinking coffee and staring out of the window as the green English countryside whizzed by – this is a real treat as I live in the centre of London. It is well worth upgrading to First Class for that extra bit of comfort. Two hours later I arrived in Manchester completely chilled out ready to rediscover the city.

My home town has certainly come a long way since the 1990s. Its blend of style and culture make it one of the most exciting cities in the UK.

There are excellent museums such as the Lowry Centre at the revamped Salford Quays, which is a tribute to L S Lowry, the artist famous for his matchstick men. Also worth seeing are Manchester Cathedral, which has an amazing interior, Manchester Town Hall and John Rylands Library, both built in Victorian Gothic style.

Image Courtesy of visitmanchester.com

Manchester is also a shopaholics’ paradise. The city centre is compact so it is easy to walk round. I think it is altogether a much more pleasant shopping experience than London. You’ll find all the usual high street names as well as a Harvey Nichols and Selfridges. Also not to be missed is Flannels, an independent boutique in Spinningfields, one of the city’s chicest districts. If you like malls visit The Trafford Centre. It’s huge.

People tend to dress up more in the evening in Manchester than in London, so you may want to get your hair done. There are plenty of great salons including Andrew Collinge, Nicky Clarke and Trevor Sorbie. My friend, who is in the know, tells me Andrew Barn, at the James Roberts salon, is the stylist celebrities flock to.

I stayed at the five-star Lowry Hotel, the preferred address of stars and captains of industry. And it is easy to understand why. The hotel has a warm and welcoming vibe and the service is excellent.




Manchester does have some great eateries including El Rincon de Rafa, which serves rather good Spanish tapas and Panacea, one of the haunts of the rich and famous. Deansgate is also crammed with plenty of cool bars where you can sit outside, if the weather is good, and watch the world go by.
The place I always head to when I am in town is the Lowry’s River Bar and Restaurant. The food is always delicious. Looking out on to the River Irwell and chic apartments, I felt as if I had been transported to Chicago, but it could be anywhere in the world you wanted it to be.

I never thought I would say this but I think Manchester is going to be calling me back very soon.

By Daralyn Danns

Getting there

For more information on the Lowry Hotel visit www.thelowryhotel.com
For more information on Virgin Trains visit www.virgintrains.co.uk or call 08719 774 222.