Wednesday 4 April 2012

Destination Bollinger, Aÿ, Champagne




The sound of the cork popping, the bubbles dancing spontaneously in the flute and the way it slowly tantalises your taste buds with rich, fruity flavours. There is no doubt about it, champagne seduces you like no other drink. It’s magic meets decadence.

To go to Bollinger, producers of some the finest champagnes [and my personal favourite], was like being taken to heaven.

And, it doesn’t get more glamorous than being invited to the house where the revered Madame Bollinger lived, being wined and dined by the eponymous champagne house.  

After drinking exquisite wines, including La Grande Année Rosé 2004, a superb pink bubbly made with the renowned red wine, Côte aux Enfants, and R.D.1995, a well-structured aged champagne, Jérôme Philipon, Bollinger’s president challenged us to a blind tasting.




“Force de punch,” I exclaimed after savouring the fine, delicately bubbled golden-amber champagne. “I like your comment!” he replied. I was extremely flattered as I am no wine critic.  But, I know what I like and this silky-smooth liquid gold was like nothing I had ever tasted before. It was Bolllinger’s legendary cuvée, Vieilles Vins Françaises which is regarded by many wine connoisseurs as a jewel in the crown of the champagne world.

Approximately, 3,000 bottles are made in exceptional vintage years of which only a coveted few reach the UK. At £550 a bottle, this 1997 vintage is a fizz my taste buds won’t be getting used to, unless, of course, I win the lottery.

At Aÿ, the home of Bollinger’s headquarters, history oozes from the village’s buildings as if enveloping you in a champagne haze. Fragmented, well-manicured vineyards carpet the surrounding hills, and millionaires rub shoulders with farmers. I half expected to see Tante Lily, as Madame Bollinger is affectionately known, come tearing down the road on her bicycle on her way to inspect the vineyards – a common sight during the German Occupation of the Champagne region.




The next morning, I got up early to take a stroll along Epernay’s fabled Avenue de Champagne punctuated with 19th-century mansions housing the headquarters of the likes of Moët et Chandon and Mercier. Bathed in a rosy glow from the rising sun only made them more alluring.

Batteries recharged, I was ready for the science bit. Bollinger has been around since 1829 and is still family-owned. A tour around the cellars is jaw-stopping. Blending, fermenting and ageing, so much goes into a bottle. Even Bollinger Special Cuvée, the house’s non-vintage champagne, is brimming with reserve wines fermented in barrels – not a common practice in Champagne. I was gobsmacked to discover that around 300 wines go into making this.

The end of our visit ended with the tasting of the Vin Clairs, wines from the last harvest. Some of these were so high in acidity, they almost set my tongue on fire – and that was with swirling them around my mouth and spitting them out. To think the wine maker has to decide which ones to use.

Afterwards, we were treated to lunch where, of course, there were more magnificent champagnes to taste. Such hard work!

As the last bubbles in my champagne flute floated away, so our visit ended. As Madame Bollinger said: “I drink it when I’m happy and when I’m sad…” I understand why!

By Daralyn Danns

Getting there

Eurostar offers return fares to Reims, the heart of the Champagne region, with one connection in Paris from £89. Connecting fares from UK stations available. For more information or to book, visit eurostar.com or call 08432 186 186

Rail Europe Fares to Epernay, from London to Epernay start at £110 return per person call 0844 848 4070 or visit www.raileurope.co.uk or call into the Rail Europe Travel Centre at 193 Piccadilly, London W1J 9EU

I stayed at La Villa Eugène, www.villa-eugene.com

Visit Champagne Mercier (www.champagnemercier.fr ) to board a laser-guided train on tour around the cellars

Bollinger tours can only be booked through Arblaster & Clarke (www.winetours.co.uk)