Thursday 7 June 2012

Keep in the party spirit





Her Majesty leaving St Paul's Cathedral




An epidemic of patriotic fever swept over London for the Diamond Jubilee weekend that I had never before witnessed. The crowds were huge and, at times, you couldn’t move, but the camaraderie I experienced as I joined the throng was a rich and rewarding experience. I felt so proud to be British.

You will all have your own personal memories of the weekend. I thought mine was going to be the flotilla, as I live by the Thames and love boats and water. But, it actually was getting a wave from the Queen herself.

I had gone to St Paul’s Cathedral to soak up the atmosphere and as Her Majesty was leaving, I managed to get a picture – a profile of her – as her car was approaching. At the moment the camera clicked, the car slowed down in front of where I was standing and she turned round and waved. I also saw the rest of the Royal Family, but being able to look straight at the Queen on this wonderful historic occasion is a memory I will treasure forever.


The Red Arrows


The party may well now be over, but this summer with Wimbledon, the Olympics and maybe the football – though I don’t hold out much hope for that – promises to give us plenty of reason to host our own summer events.

As part of my Jubilee celebrations, I went to have lunch at my favourite London hotel, which is rumoured to be frequented by members of the Royal Family, The Stafford London by Kempinski. Quintessentially English, its quaint courtyard is the ideal setting for a summer’s drink.


The Stafford London by Kempinski: the quaint courtyard


I asked Benoit Provost, the bars manager, for some ideas for summer party drinks. “Pimms! It’s a classic,” he replied. “It’s easy to prepare and is wonderful served with fresh mint.”

If you want to serve cocktails, Benoit suggests livening up a glass of champagne with strawberry purée. It’s the perfect drink for Wimbledon. Another idea is to pour some raspberry purée  into a glass filled with crushed ice and add some lime cordial and  vodka. Top with champagne, if you feel like being extravagant.

Alternatively, mix a little Mandarine Napoleon with a lime cordial and apple juice and fill the glass with prosecco or champagne.

For those special occasions, Benoit recommends pink champagne. He likes Bollinger Rosé NV, Deutz Brut Rosé and Gosset Grand Rosé.


Benoit Provost talking to me about party drinks
If you are a wine lover, Benoit says you can’t go wrong with pinot grigio. For something a little different, Benoit recommends voignier. “It’s a lovely dry white wine from the South West of France.” If you prefer rosé, go for a sancerre. “Try adding some pink-grapefruit syrup,” suggests Benoit. It may be very American, but adding a couple of ice cubes makes a glass of wine last longer and it is really refreshing.

By Daralyn Danns