Monday 25 March 2013

Dealing with fluffy hair



My hair can go really fluffy, especially at this time of year. It absorbs moisture from humid air, especially if the cuticles have not been smoothed down properly and, as we all know, it is difficult to get your hair as smooth as a hairdresser does.

It was a particularly damp day when I visited Emma, a stylist at London’s renowned Daniel Galvin salon. She asked me how I would like my hair styled and I said I need to keep movement in my hair as otherwise it won’t last. I explained to her that my hair is naturally fluffy. “I have plenty of tips for dealing with this type of hair,” she said. So, I decided to pick her brain.



Karen Walker spring/summer 2013
Hair by Bumble and bumble editorial stylist, Laurent Philippon


Luckily, lived-in locks are still a key trend for spring. Bumble and bumble editorial stylist, Laurent Philippon created some amazing “soft and rough” looks at  the Karen Walker spring/summer 2013 catwalk show.

A tip from Emma, which I have tried and it does work, is to scrunch some salt spray to the ends of the hair while drying. “It adds oomph to the hair, especially if it is fine,” she says.

One I particularly like is Bb Surf Spray (£20, bumbleandbumble.co.uk). You can let the ends dry naturally or use a diffuser. It can also be used to add lift at the roots.

Alternatively, Emma suggests applying a light weight serum to damp hair. MoroccanoiL Light treatment (£30.45) is good for fine hair. I have also recently tried Bb’s new Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil (£30) which doesn’t weigh the hair down and helps to control frizz.

Emma’s tip is to rough dry hair either with a dryer or naturally until almost dry and then use a round brush to smooth the roots out. “While the hair is warm, take the section and smooth it. Next, wrap the ends round the brush. Using it like a roller, heat it up with the dryer on medium heat, let the hair cool down for a few seconds, before running your fingers through the curl. Once all your hair is dry, blast it with cool air to break up the curls and seal the style.”

I was so happy with Emma’s blow-dry, it looked natural when I left the salon and it lasted for days. Definitely, a stylist to put in my little black book.

By Daralyn Danns