Monday 15 April 2013

Time to change your hair colour



The colour of your hair can definitely alter your mood. I have now banished to history my long, dark days of having a hair colour that every time that every time I looked into the mirror, I saw an image of somebody else staring back. Now, thanks to the amazing Liz Edmonds, colour director at Daniel Galvin, my locks look stunning.

You always know when you are on to a good thing, when other hairdressers admire somebody else’s work. And, recently when I have been having a blow-dry, the hairdressers have all been complimentary about my hue.

Another perk of having Liz do my hair is that the colour seems to be lasting longer between visits. This time when I saw the colourist extraordinaire, she said we only need to do the roots as there is no fading.




“At this time of year, many clients want a change,” said Liz. “Blondes want to go lighter. If you are going to add more highlights to your hair, you want them to look as if they have popped out of your hair. Think of the tones of children’s hair when they have spent time on the beach. The ends should always be lighter than the roots.”

Liz also told me that we are seeing a lot of strawberry blondes this season. “Red hair works well on those with green eyes and freckles. If you have pink in your skin, this look is not for you.”

Red hair can be hard to maintain as it fades easily. You will have to apply coloured glosses to the hair in-between salon visits. “We make them up for you in the salon, so you can’t ruin your colour,” said Liz.

As for brunettes, the “Jennifer Aniston” look, brown with a few highlights, according to Liz never goes out of fashion.  However, if you want to be on trend, her suggestion is to go for more golden and caramel shades. “The hairline should always be one shade lighter than the rest of the hair, so that it looks soft and doesn’t emphasis every line on your face.

To add shine to my hair, Liz applied Daniel Galvin Clear Gloss (£24) which I also use at home when my locks need an extra boost.

I love the way that when my hair catches the light, it looks as if I have had gold highlights put in. Liz is a real find.

 By Daralyn Danns



Daniel Galvin (danielgalvin.com)