Monday 21 October 2013

Hair colour to dye for



As the end of summer abruptly approached, my hair had started to look rather worse for wear. It had faded and especially, in daylight, I could see too much yellow in it.  I was not duly concerned as I knew my trusted colourist, Liz would fix the problem. So, it was quickly on the phone to Daniel Galvin to book an appointment.  

You can imagine how I felt when I was told that Liz wasn’t going to be available, but Daisy, who Liz recommended when she wasn’t in the salon could sort out my problem. As I was about to go away and as Daisy came with Liz’s seal of approval, I set a date.

Daisy took one look at my locks and said: “You need to be two shades darker.” Chatting to Daisy, I knew I was in safe hands. The butterflies in my stomach disappeared rapidly. Anybody who knows what it is like to go to a new colourist when you have been really pleased with your present one knows that feeling. 




After a through consultation, Daisy began work. She mixed a darker shade than I had previously and started by doing the roots. Afterwards, she took the colour through the ends for about 5 minutes before applying a gloss.

Daisy had told me that, for this autumn, brunettes should be deeper and richer than they were in the summer. “Darker hair also has more shine,” she added. 

For the winter, Daisy advised brunettes to go slightly warmer. “Think chestnut or hazel. If you have a neutral or cool skin tone, richer does not mean having to add red to the hair. To keep your hair looking natural, ensure the hairline and ends are lighter than the roots.”

As the days grow shorter, Daisy advises blondes to keep the front light but add some warmer tones to their locks. Redheads should go richer and deeper. “Just remember, there is a fine line between looking natural and artificial,” she cautioned.

My hair looked amazing. I really was pleased. It is probably the darkest I have been in a long time. As Daisy pointed out, my eyes were the first thing you noticed. And, as Daniel would say:” If you’ve got the perfect hair colour, the first thing that people should notice should NOT be your hair colour, it should be your eyes.”

By Daralyn Danns

Daniel Galvin (www.danielgalvin.com)