Monday 13 January 2014

Considering a change of hair colour?



Leaving the salon with a colour we are pleased with that fades a couple of washes later is something that has happened to a great many of us.

When, a couple of months ago, I first met colourist Daisy Twyman at Daniel Galvin, I explained to her that I liked my hair when I left the salon, but after a few shampoos it was turning too yellow which made me look drained.

I told her that I wanted to go darker as the “7” that was being used on my hair, combined with the toner, was washing out too quickly. Daisy made me a darker brown with a tinge of black and, at my request, did not use the toner. The first time the yellow came through, but this time it wasn’t as bad.

“We need to make the ends richer,” she said. I also said I would be happy to be a bit darker than she thought I should be as I was travelling.



Having my hair back to my natural hue is far more flattering against my complexion and has also given me the freedom to wear a greater range of colours. I have also gone back to using blushers that match my skin tone rather than having to make them work with my hair.

If you are thinking about changing your hair colour for the new year, you may want to stop and consider a few things before you take the plunge. “Skin tone in January – unless you have jetted off to sunnier climes over the festive season – will be paler than in the summer,” says Daisy. “If you go even a shade lighter or darker or warmer or cooler, you may have to change your make-up and clothes. And, though it is tempting to have a whole new wardrobe, it can be expensive.”

Ending up too dark or too pale and you may find that you have to pile on the make-up to stop you looking ill. Also remember that some fake tans give your skin a yellowish hue, especially as it fades. So, if you can’t stop hitting the bottle, take this into consideration before going for a new look.

“Red is a difficult colour to pull off,” says Daisy. “You need to have a complexion that doesn’t have too much pink in it. It is also high maintenance as the hue won’t stay vibrant for long.”

For those with olive or golden skin, Daisy advises to stay clear of yellow tones as your face and hair will merge into one. “Going too dark can make your face look tired and drawn as well as ageing you,” she says. “If you want to go darker, avoid being one tone. The hair needs to be lighter around your face and through the ends.”

Why fix something that is working for you? “If your colour, be it natural or dyed flatters you, don’t change it for the sake of it,” cautions Daisy. “Don’t follow fashion! Instead ask your colourist to use new techniques to keep you on-trend. 

My hair was darker than last time and even my stylist, Stephenie Facer said: “Daisy did something different. It looks so much better. It brings out your eyes and works well with your skin.”

Could I at last be getting the perfect colour? 

By Daralyn Danns

Daniel Galvin (www.danielgalvin.com)