Friday 21 February 2014

Finding the perfect bra



The right bra can not only make you look better, it can also make you feel sexier and more feminine as I found out on a recent visit to Marks & Spencer, Marble Arch, London.

Being small (30 back and a C cup), I find it hard to get bras to fit as the choice is so limited. More often than not I have one option and that may not be perfect. As women are tending to get bigger, it has become a mammoth task to find a pretty bra that works.

I explained my dilemma to Julia Mercer, technical manager and Marks & Spencer’s bra guru who stared at me in disbelief when I told her that I had even had to resort to the teenage bra ranges. “You should not be wearing those as the straps will not offer you enough support!” she retorted.

She told me that I have an inverted sternum and narrow shoulders plus a cleavage that kisses. “A plunge is the perfect shape for you,” she explained. “It supports the bust from the side, pushing it inwards creating a cleavage effect. 



The Sumptuously Soft Plunge T-shirt Bra


Apparently, most bras can be divided into two main styles: plunge or balcony. The latter has wider cup straps and suits those with pigeon chests – that is more up the top. They lift from the bottom of the cup giving you an uplifted effect. Full cups suit all women.

Julia put me in a new M&S creation, the Sumptuously Soft Plunge T-shirt Bra (£18, which comes in black, white and fawn). I couldn’t believe the difference. I had a good bust, which made if feel more womanly and even though the bras had an underwire, it was incredibly comfortable.



The Sumptuously Soft Full-Cup T-shirt Bra


The straps were perfectly secure and not too tight. The under band was sitting comfortably against the middle of my back and not riding up – If it does your bra is not right for you – and the wires were not digging into any breast tissue. The centre front of the bra was also sitting flat against the chest which it should do. It also fitted perfectly on the first hook so that as it stretches you can adjust it. The bust was also contained fully within the cup – another mark of a good fitting bra.

It is recommended to have a bra fitting approximately every six months as you can change shape.

Julia believes women should have a wardrobe of bras that are suitable for day, evening and sports as well as a strapless one. If you want to buy a bra that goes with a special outfit, she recommends taking it with you.

As for me, well a wardrobe of bras seems a long way off. I’m just thrilled to find one that fits perfectly and to discover that M&S are catering for petite women and are introducing more 30 backs into its ranges. 

However, when I told Julia I had never had a strapless bra, she thinks it won’t be long before that situation is rectified. You can always rely on good old M&S to be inventing something new. 

By Daralyn Danns

For more information on bra fittings at M&S visit www.marksandspencer.com