Monday 21 July 2014

Summer hair care



After travelling and being in the sun, my tresses remarkably hadn’t faded that much. It was only when I noticed my roots all of a sudden that I realised that I hadn’t been to see colour whizz Daisy Twyman, at the Daniel Galvin salon, for six weeks.

“It really is only around the front that it has lifted,” said Daisy. “You can notice some yellow tones in your hair where the old colour is coming through.”

The remedy?  “We will do the roots and then I will take the colour through three quarters of the length for three minutes and then do the very ends for a minute so that they are kept soft,” said Daisy.

Whatever Daisy says goes as far as I am concerned. This lady has performed a miracle with my hair.






I was talking to a friend the day after I visited Daisy. “I can’t believe how great your colour is now looking,” she said. I remember a couple of years ago when it was a mix of orange and yellow and you were at your wit’s end to try to get it right. Who would have thought it could look so good?”

Keeping hair looking good over the summer is hard. You wash your hair more frequently (even plain water can dilute the pigment and make it fade faster). Daisy’s tip is to use products that contain UV protection. She also suggests wearing a sun hat if you are on holiday or going to be spending long periods of time outside – even in this country on a hot day. “Damp your hair and apply a hair oil or conditioner before you put your hat on. Wash it out in the evening.”

It is also a good idea to apply some conditioner before plunging into a chlorinated pool to protect it. Chlorine can play havoc with hair dye.

“Use treatments a couple of times a week,” said Daisy. “If your hair is prone to frizz, using a masque as a conditioner will help weigh the hair down.”

I have been using some Davines products (available at the Daniel Galvin salon) which have helped retain the colour and keep my locks well moisturised. 

My favourites are Davines Momo Moisturizing Shampoo PH 5.5 (£13.45) and Davines Momo Moisturizing  Conditioner (£14.80) which I use as a daily conditioner and as a treatment a couple of times a week. For those of you that suffer from frizz, give the Davines Momo Moisturizing Anti-Frizz Protective Fluid (£16.10) a try. This lightweight fluid helps combat frizz and helps boost shine. Ideal for fine hair that is prone to fluffiness.

“Your colour will change while you are on holiday, so be prepared when you return to visit the salon and have your colour adjusted,” Daisy added.

My hair was stunning. It looked so natural that you would never have guessed that I had spent a couple of hours having my hair coloured. That, in my books, is perfection.

By Daralyn Danns

Daniel Galvin (www.danielgalvin.com)