Wednesday 10 July 2019

Short hair is having a moment




This is not a paid post.

Sophisticated and chic yet edgy and fresh, short hair is having a moment.

I have always preferred my hair long but wanting a new look, I decided to go for the short chin-length blunt bob, this summer's hot trend.

What surprised me were the amazing comments that I received. "It is fabulous," said one friend. "It makes you look so much younger."

It seems to do wonders for my bone structure and shows off my long neck. This cut is also empowering.  What is more, my hair is easy to manage and is less frizzy now that it is shorter.







"Short hair is modern and contemporary," says hairdresser extraordinaire, Michael Charalambus whose salon in London's Sloane Square is a magnet for those who want the very best hair care. "Go easy on the layers, otherwise you may find it difficult to maintain and need to have it
professionally blow-dried."

If your hair is damaged, has lost its shine or the ends are stringy, think about cutting it. You will find it looks thicker and much fuller. It can also make you look more youthful.

To see whether short hair will suit you, try on a wig to see if you like it before you take the plunge. Ask your stylist for their opinion. If you are changing your hairdresser go for a few consultations before you make a decision. Take pictures with you of cuts you like.

Michael advises using a round ceramic brush when blow-drying as they are easier to  use than bristle brushes and you get a better grip. "The brush takes the heat so it does not burn the hair."

As an English summer is often really humid, I have been applying a leave-in conditioner which seems to keep the fluff at bay. If your locks are fine, you just need to use the tiniest amount.

Michael suggests changing products every so often. He says: "They are like scent, you get used to them after a while."

I am so thrilled that I went for the chop. It appears I am in good company as several celebrities have also discovered the benefits of going shorter. You, too, may discover the merits of letting your stylist get the scissors out.

By Daralyn Danns


For inspiration visit nyumbasalon.com or follow on instagram.com/nyumbasalon