Monday 10 October 2011

Style tips from Kelly Hoppen


         *Kelly Hoppen

The renowned interior designer, Kelly Hoppen recently teamed up with Earth Couture, a luxurious organic fashion label, to create a range for women that is ideal for lounging around the house and is also both stylish and comfortable enough for travelling. Since the collection started a few seasons ago, it has, according to the FT, been worn by Cheryl Cole and Madonna.

I asked Kelly to disclose some of her style secrets.

What do you need to look out for when you are buying clothes to ensure you are not just paying for a name? 

“I always look to quality, the feel of the fabric and the craftsmanship. You can tell straight away if a garment is badly made.”  

What pieces should you invest in and what can you get away with paying less for? 

“I always invest in key pieces, coats, boots, bags etc. A great cashmere sweater mixed with a pair of trousers from the high street – it’s all about mixing it up.” 

What are your top tips when shopping for clothes?

“Don’t just follow trends. Buy items that not only suit you, but also fit you properly.” 

What key pieces should we be buying this autumn? 

“As soon as autumn arrives, for me, it is all about enveloping myself in textures. Great knitwear, layered T-shirts and, of course, clothes for the home.”

You have a unique style when it comes to interior design. How can you translate this into clothes?

“I have maintained my love of neutrals. I think that they work brilliantly in fashion, especially, in the fabrics that I have chosen for the collection. It is about being relaxed and comfortable.”

How can you look stylish without being a slave to fashion?

“Develop your own personal style and update it with new pieces that reflect your style values.”

Many women live in neutrals such as black. How do you inject colour into your wardrobe? 

“As with my interiors, I highlight with flashes of colour. Inject a little spice with a coloured top or perhaps accessories, a great bag etc.”

You have used vintage pieces in design. Do you think that this should translate into fashion?

“Of course, nothing screams style more than a well thought out vintage piece. I have so many dresses from many years ago that still to this day look modern. It’s all about choosing classics. Classics do not date.”

Why did you decide to launch Earth Couture?

 “I decided to partner with Earth Couture as I had always been interested in fashion and when the opportunity arose I was thrilled to accept. The charity element of the brand cemented the deal. With every purchase a mosquito coil is given to a child in Africa.” 

Where do you see fashion heading?

“Fashion will always keep coming around, but with a new twist.” 

*Kelly Hoppen for Earth Couture

By Daralyn Danns

Earth Couture (earth-couture.com)