Tuesday 18 October 2011

Destination Chewton Glen


Perched on the edge of the New Forest in Hampshire, Chewton Glen is an oasis of tranquillity. Surrounded by sweeping lawns, manicured gardens and trees, this luxurious country house hotel, so steeped in English tradition, cleverly manages to inject touches of modernity without losing its homely feel. From the moment you arrive you are treated like a VIP. It’s easy to see why Chewton Glen has won so many awards. The service makes it stand out from the crowd.

My overnight stay at the five-star establishment started with a delicious lunch at its awarding-winning spa. I opted for the buffet which was brimming with healthy dishes, washed down with a glass of organic champagne. Well, it was my birthday!

Afterwards I had the Lomi lomi Hawaiian massage, which was so relaxing I fell asleep. I also made use some of the spa’s facilities. The gym, I thought would be too much like hard work so I went for a dip in the inside pool and then a leisurely soak in the hydrotherapy spa pool. You can even get your make-up done for the evening if you so wish. No wonder so many people come and spend a day at this spa. For golf enthusiasts the hotel has a nine-hole par three course.

Feeling revitalised after my treatments and, as the weather was beautiful, it was time to take a short walk through the hotel’s estate to Chewton Bunny, an ancient wooded river valley which takes you to the beach. There the Isle of Wight gleamed in the distance. The only sound to be heard was the lapping of the waves.

I sauntered up to Highcliffe Castle, about a 20-minute walk along the beach. It was built around 1835 by Lord Stuart de Rothesay as a coastal retreat and today is noted for its elaborate carved medieval stonework.

Chewton Glen’s rooms are well designed with a perfect mix of antique and modern furniture.  Attention to detail is impressive. The hotel had thought of everything including fruit, chocolates and champagne on arrival. There was even a good hairdryer – a rare find when travelling.


Dinner was in the recently refurbished Vetiver restaurant. Decked out in purple, green and black, it comprises five rooms including the Wine Room which is perfect for private parties. The menu is English, seasoned with international spice. The smoked salmon was just how I like it, not too salty, the Dover Sole was grilled to perfection and the mango and raspberry sorbets were really fruity. The wine list is extensive so you will be sure to find something that suits your palette.

After dinner, I retired to the lounge to enjoy my coffee and petit fours. The perfect end to the perfect day.  This was paradise. I’ll certainly be heading back here next time my batteries need recharging.

By Daralyn Danns

Chewton Glen (chewtonglen.com)