Friday 4 November 2011

Winterising my hair colour


Over the last six weeks, since I last saw my colourist, José Molino at Neville Hair and Beauty, my hair turned slightly brighter due to being in the sun. However, I’m pleased to report that the shade wasn’t brassy, just a tad too light for my liking and, as I had been travelling, I had to go longer than I normally would without visiting the salon. In all honesty, the roots weren’t really that bad which I put down to José’s skill at using a variation of colours throughout my hair.

As there is less sunlight in the winter and we tend to wear richer and warmer colours, José said I needed to tone down the brightness in my hair and make it slightly richer and darker to give it more dimension.
“We’ll put in a few highlights in biscuit beige and do the roots in a dark sandy blonde. We will also add in some darker chunky slices and a few thinner pieces to add lift and depth to the hair. This will warm up your complexion for the winter,” said José.

“Having a variation of colour throughout the hair will make it low maintenance.  Regrowth will be less noticeable and, overall, your hair will be in better condition as you are colouring less and not having as many highlights which can be drying on the hair.”   

Over the winter, José suggests going for more natural shades and giving the hair a rest from too many highlights which will improve the condition. “Darker shades make the hair look healthier and require less upkeep,” he said. José’s tip is to start using a deep conditioner from the next time you wash your hair: “Don’t wait until your hair is dry. Prevention is better than cure.”



My hair is the best José has done so far. Eventually, the reddy tones, which I so hate on me, are almost gone, and have been replaced with more flattering sandy golden shades.

The best compliment that a colourist can get is having his work praised by other hairdressers. I have recently been receiving a lot of good feedback. The god of colour is certainly deserving of his title.

By Daralyn Danns

Neville Hair and Beauty (www.nevillehairandbeauty.net)