Monday 6 February 2012

The curly look


Recently, when I have been to the hairdressers, the weather has been damp. Not great for keeping my hair straight. So, when I walked into Aveda Institute Salon and Spa and met up with Olivier Noha, he took one look at my curly hair and said: “I like it.” Not the reaction I was expecting.


He said that working with my hair’s natural texture, especially in this weather,  will mean that the blow-dry will last longer. He suggested drying my hair using a diffuser to bring out the curl.

After prepping the hair with Aveda Be Curly Style-Prep (£18.50), Olivier twisted my hair with his fingers before drying. “Bring out the waves with the diffuser. Use your hairdryer on the lowest heat and speed setting. Don’t use your fingers while you are drying your hair as this can cause it to frizz. To increase volume, bend your head to the side. If you want to decrease it hold your hair straighter. The prongs on the diffuser help to give body at the roots.”

Using a diffuser yourself can be tiring on the arm as attaching to the hairdryer does make it slightly heavier. Also your hair takes longer to dry. Diffusers usually work best on wavy or curly fine or medium textured hair that is short or medium length.


I thought this was a nice change. I would try this again when the weather is bad or on a hot summer’s day.

By Daralyn Danns

Aveda Institute Salon and Spa (www.aveda.co.uk)