Wednesday 23 May 2012

Coping with fine, fluffy hair


Rain and damp weather can play havoc with your hair, especially If you have fine, fluffy hair like mine which tends to frizz at the slightest sign of humidity.

As I was going away for a few days and the weather forecast predicted more rain, I decided to pop into the Aveda Institute Salon and Spa, Covent Garden to get my hair done.

Jay Doan, my stylist, took one look at my hair and said: “Heat is the answer. You need to smooth your hair before you style it and then put a little movement back into your hair.”

Before Jay dried my hair she prepped it with Aveda Smooth Infusion Style-Prep Smoother (£18.50). “It contains organic tapioca that helps defend against humidity making the blow-dry last longer,” she told me.




For the best results, Jay explained, you also need to use the right brush to smooth out your hair. Round bristle brushes are good for creating volume and smoothing, if you have frizzy hair. Create tension by holding the brush taut. Paddle brushes are good for straightening long hair. You can use a round brush afterwards if you need extra volume.  

Ceramic brushes let the warm air from the dryer circulate and work on the surface of the hair and underneath, so your hair is dried quicker. “Don’t apply too much heat, otherwise you can damage your hair,” warns Jay. “You can use ceramic brushes like heated rollers to create curl or a soft wave. Leave it in the hair for a few seconds and then, when cool, remove.”

If you want to create waves with a curling iron, Jay says: “Take a section of hair and start in the middle and feed the hair through. If you want to use heated rollers, comb a section of the hair, wrap it round the roller making sure that it is clean at the roots and sitting on the scalp. Don’t leave it dangling.”

When I leave the salon and it is raining, I tie my hair back into a ponytail with a metal-free hair band and let it down when I get to my destination.

Jay’s blow-dry, I’m pleased to tell you, survived the worst downpours. In fact it was so good, it didn’t need touching for three days.

By Daralyn Danns

For appointments visit www.aveda.co.uk