Wednesday 22 August 2012

Daniel Galvin team work their magic again


Luckily, this time round my colour had hardly faded. It was slightly warmer than I prefer but most people wouldn’t have noticed, I’m just really fussy especially, where my hair is concerned.  

I now feel that I am beginning to see that the wonderful Liz Edmonds, colour director at Daniel Galvin had well and truly put my tresses on the road to recovery.

“We’ll do the roots and put a gloss through the ends,” said Liz. While she set to work we started to talk about new hair colour product launches as I had recently been talking to Wella Professionals about its latest innovation Illumina Color which claims to be a natural-looking dye that will give your hair an incredible sheen It is also supposed to cover white hair effectively. I’m sure coming from Wella it is a good product, but as I know from previous experiences, not every new colorant on the market is right for everybody.


Liz has well and truly turned the corner


It is all too easy to be seduced by adverts from companies promising beautiful coloured hair that won’t fade. But, how many of us when, we go to the salon to get our hair coloured,, ever ask for a colourant by brand name? We are more likely to ask for a certain colourist as we like their technique.

“At Daniel Galvin, we take the best from each manufacturer,” says Liz. “Your colourist will know your hair type and what product to use. Everybody’s hair is totally different.”

Shades can vary from brand to brand making it more difficult to colour match, so if you want to keep stay the same colour don’t switch brands. Manufacturers tend to have different bases for their colours. For example, one make may have more greenish tones, while another may contain red hues making the colour warmer.

Some brands are more suited to certain types of hair than others. If you have really porous hair, the cooler tones will be absorbed more readily, so the colourist needs to work with bases that will provide the desired results. So, in short, if you are going have your hair coloured, leave it to the experts and try to go to a salon such as Daniel Galvin that works with more than one brand.

By the way, if you are going on holiday, Liz suggests having your hair coloured a couple of weeks before you go and protecting it either with a hat or a product that has an SPF. “Hair is dead and you won’t feel it burn,” says Liz.

When Liz unveiled my locks, I saw a beautiful shade of brown, which a friend said matched my eyes. I have to admit, this time is the best it has been since I can remember. Liz has well and truly turned the corner.

By Daralyn Danns

Daniel Galvin (www.danielgalvin.com)