Monday 7 January 2013

Daniel Galvin, the miracle workers



Looking back at hair pictures from the past year, I’ve realised how my locks have come a long way. In 2012, I had the January blues in more ways than one. My hair was a mix of orange and yellow with purple bits laced through. Later on in the year, I was fortunate enough to meet the wonderful Liz Edmonds, colour director at Daniel Galvin.

Wind forward a year and I’m back to being a sun-kissed brunette. My hair had lifted slightly by the time I went back to the salon, but I had jetted off to sunnier climes before Christmas. “I prefer you slightly darker,” said Liz. We need to adjust the colour as it has gone a bit too warm.  




As Liz was doing my roots, I asked her what the best remedy is for covering them up in between salon visits. I always seem to get a last minute invitation just as my regrowth is ready to be done the next day.

“Whatever you do, don’t go and buy a hair dye from the chemist or supermarket. It is hard to get the right shade. There is a guideline on the box but that shade is on paper and also results will vary depending on what is on your hair already. And, if you make a mistake, invariably it won’t wash out and you will undo all the good work that your colourist as done.

“My advice is to use mascara. If you have white hairs coming through it will tone them down. You can also use eye shadow or a coloured dry shampoo.”

Liz pointed out that hair becomes drier at this time of year. So you should ensure that you are keeping your hair well conditioned.

I have just tried Louise Galvin’s  Shampoo for Fine Hair (£22) which is a mild shampoo and seems to help the colour last longer. The Deep Conditioning Treatment (£10.20) is packed with vegetable proteins and makes my hair feel like silk. Before styling, use a heat protector such as Kérastase Nectar Thermique (£21).

Also during the winter the combination of cold air and low levels of humidity can result in static and make hair flyaway. Liz’s tip is to tame it with hairspray. “If you are wearing a hat, spray some on the inside to prevent your hair taking off in all directions.” In an emergency rub a small amount of hand lotion into your hands and slide them over your hair.

My hair is a beautiful shade of golden chestnut. A gorgeous rich shade to start the new year. Liz keeps getting my colour better and better each time.

By Daralyn Danns

Daniel Galvin (www.danielgalvin.com)