Friday 11 January 2013

Destination Galilee, Israel





View from the Golan Heights


Standing on top of the Golan Heights looking down at the glistening waters of the Sea of Galilee surrounded by hills and the lushness of the Beit Tsida valley, I felt as if I had been thrown into a spectacular painting. The back track of birdsong made me realise I hadn’t.

Whether you are religious or not, you feel as if you have been transported to a sanctuary for mind and body, a place where time really has stood still for thousands of years. If only the mountains could have revealed their secrets about the stories from the Bible.


Sea of Galilee


Arriving at my Hotel Spa Mizpe Hayamim, swathed in acres of land accompanied by views that epitomise the perfect picture-postcard setting, I saw that this sense of well-being was about to continue.

I sauntered down to the spa for an aromatherapy massage, which my therapist explained used oils produced at Mizpe Hayamim. After having the last drops of stress squeezed out of my body, I felt as if I had discovered my inner energy and peace, despite having been up all night.

Eating in this country is an experience in itself. Israeli breakfasts comprising fruits, salads, yogurts, cheeses, nuts, eggs, fish and so much more are legendary; they are more like brunch than breakfast. At Mizpe Hayamim, it was as if food had been reinvented, the flavours kept on tantalising my taste buds. It was healthy, as it came from its own organic farm, I told myself, as I managed to consume more in one meal than I would usually in a day.

Dinner at the hotel’s Muscat, a chic Galilean country-styled restaurant was also exquisite. My fish was sea-to-fork fresh. Israel also has some extraordinary red wines. The Yarden merlot I had, which apparently came from the Golan, was a surprisingly complex wine that was velvety smooth on the palate.

A point worth noting is that most hotels in Israel keep kosher dietary laws. As milk and meat can’t be eaten together, hotels such as Mizpe Hayamim have separate dairy and meat restaurants. Fish and meat can be eaten at the same meal, providing they are separate courses.

I could have stayed in the hotel all weekend, but for the lure of the Galilee and “taking the waters” at Hamat Gader, one of the Roman Empire’s largest bath complexes.

Israel’s oldest spa resort was buzzing as it was the Jewish Sabbath as well as a Muslim holiday. After bathing in the mineral-rich hot waters of the Spa Village pool (worth paying the extra money to use this area) it was easy to understand the continuing popularity of Hamat Gader. 


Safed


Another interesting place to visit is the quaint and scenic village of Amirim, a unique community of vegetarians and vegans. It is an idyllic way of whiling away a few hours. Besides restaurants and cafés, there is a wide array of alternative therapeutic treatments on offer from spa treatments to spiritual workshops.

Not to be missed is a visit to Safed, a small mysterious mountain top town, one of Israel’s four holy cities, and the centre of Kabbalah.  I was intrigued to find out a bit more about this Jewish mysticism – the teachings of which began here over 500 years ago – as so many Hollywood celebs have adopted a version of it. Where else could you hear music wafting up from below ground to the pavement? Walking round, I did just that.

Kabbalah “investigates and explains the codes of both the universe and the soul of man”, which it says, helps you to lead a more spiritual and meaningful life. No, I did not sign up, nor did I find any bottles of Kabbalah water, but I did love Safed’s special atmosphere, discovering the narrow alleyways, exploring old synagogues, delving into artists’ studios and workshops and seeing the biblical jewellery sold by New Agers.  

Israel may be small (roughly the size of Wales) but it is a country that energises and inspires you with almost every twist and turn you take.

By Daralyn Danns

Getting there

Contact the Israeli Government Tourist Office www.thinkisrael.com or call 0207 299 1100

El Al offers flights from London Luton to Tel Aviv from £399 or from London Heathrow to Tel Aviv from £426. To book call 0207 121 1400 or visit www.elal.uk or contact your travel agent

Hotel Spa Mizpe Hayamim (www.mizpe-hayamim.com)