Monday 9 December 2013

Turning up the volume


Voluminous tresses always look glamorous and sexy. If you are going to a special event, look at getting a blow-dry as an investment. Your hair is your best accessory, so if it does not look chic, it won’t matter what you are wearing.

As I had a couple of events to go to I booked into see top stylist Carlos Rodriguez at the Urban Retreat, Harrods. This Portuguese wonder instantly transformed my hair making it feel and look so gorgeous.  

If you don’t have time to get to the hairdressers, you can try blow-drying it yourself, but trust me, it never looks the same as when a professional does it, nor does it last as long. 






Carlos says that the biggest mistake women make when blow-drying their own hair is not to work in sections.  “Dry the roots first,” he says.”Use your hands to pull hair out and hold it taut while holding the dryer downwards. This will help prevent the hair from frizzing.

“Once hair is dry you can roller each section to create volume or pin it. Or, alternatively use a small round brush to smooth the hair out and create curls. After you have blow-dried your hair, run some hair serum through the mid-lengths and ends and break it up with your hands. You can use a hair spray to seal the look.” 

A good blow-dry should do you for several days. Carlos’s certainly is one of the best I have had. It even survived the damp and the rain and didn’t frizz. All I needed to do, in the mornings, was run my fingers through it. 

Carlos suggested if, after a couple of days, I needed to pump up the volume, I could pop in some heated rollers. “Ensure that you let them cool down completely before taking them out. When hair is cool, it will lock into shape,” he said.

You can also use a couple of Velcro rollers on the crown and leave them in while you are getting ready. I didn’t need to. I’m just going to keep Carlos on speed dial.

By Daralyn Danns

A blow-dry with Carlos Rodriguez  costs from £40. For further info visit www.urbanretreat.co.uk/harrods.