Monday 7 April 2014

Destination Chicago, USA



Chicago is a city with soul. It is one of those rare places that makes you feel as if you belong from the moment you arrive.

In the 1770s, a black Haitian trader, Jean Baptiste Point du Sable founded a settlement at the mouth of what is now known as the Chicago River. The area called by the Indians, Eschikagou, which roughly translates as “smells like stinking onions” – due to the foul odours from the swamps – metamorphosed into one of the greatest cities in the USA and a world-class destination. 

It is hard not to admire the Windy City, as it is nicknamed. It has had its trials and tribulations. It was devastated by the Great Fire of 1871 and had the likes of Al Capone and John Dillinger winning it a reputation as a lawless city during the 1920s and 30s. But, the home of Barrack Obama has, as I discovered, the amazing ability to reinvent itself continually.  

My idea of a holiday is arriving in a city, walking round and getting under its skin and delving into its psyche. From the moment I took my first stroll along Michigan Avenue – dubbed the Magnificent Mile – renowned for its excellent shopping, I was hooked. 

Much more laid-back and charming than New York, Chicago has a rather American mid-western feel about it. This unpretentious city not only fizzes with excitement, it oozes romance. 



Chicago skyline from the south
© City of Chicago




From a boat cruising along the Chicago River, I gazed in awe at the buildings which could only be described as works of wonder. Standing out from the crowd of skyscrapers punctuating the clouds is the Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower), said to be the tallest building in America.

As evening was approaching, I headed to the John Hannock Center and zoomed up in the lift to the Observatory (recently renamed as 360 Chicago) where I stood mesmerised watching the last rays of the sun disappear over Lake Michigan. It was pretty spectacular.

I was too early for this spring’s opening of the TILT, but I am not sure that I would have been brave enough to enter the enclosed glass and steel platform which, as its name suggests, tilts outward from the building’s 94th floor 1,000 ft above the city’s spectacular skyline.

The next day I took the Frank Lloyd Wright Tour of Oak Park. You don’t have to be a design buff to appreciate the work of the man regarded as one of America’s finest and most influential architects of the 20th century.   



The bridge opens over the Chicago River
© Cesar Russ Photography



Afterwards I sauntered by Lake Michigan. In the sunlight, the aqua- blue water sparkled like a jewel and it seemed to go on forever. It felt as if I was by the sea rather than a lake. I stumbled on a great beach where I whiled away an hour or two.


Also on my agenda was the highly-acclaimed Millennium Park brimming with 21-century architectural gems and arguably one of the city’s star attractions. Try to catch a performance of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra at the Frank-Gehry designed Jay Pritzker Pavilion. For a Ferris Wheel ride, the iconic Navy Pier is the place to go.

I couldn’t resist delving into Chicago’s murky past, so I hopped on the “Untouchables Tour Bus” to get a taster of its notorious gangsters and learn a little history. It is touristy, but is a lot of fun.

Back in the present and it was time to take advantage of Chicago’s superb cutting-edge restaurants. It’s a foodie’s paradise catering for all tastes and budgets – well it is famed for its hotdogs. It is virtually impossible to resist the temptation.

Proclaimed the birthplace of the skyscraper and famed for baseball and jazz, I discovered Chicago has so much more to offer. My only disappointment was I wasn’t there for longer. Four days is just not enough to track down all the delights of what has now become one of my top favourite American cities.

By Daralyn Danns



Getting there

British Airways offers a daily service from London Heathrow to Chicago fourteen times a week. Prices from £574.65 return including taxes/fees/carrier charges. To book or for more information including regional departures visit www.ba.com/Chicago or call 0844 493 0787 

Efficient and friendly staff always make it a pleasure to fly with this airline






Hotel Sofitel Chicago Water Tower
 Lobby
 ©Sofitel Chicago Water Tower



Stay at Sofitel Chicago Water Tower, rates start from $157.50 USD (approx £95) including VAT. For more information visit www.sofitel.com 

A superb chic hotel within minutes of the Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, and Lake Michigan