Wednesday 16 April 2014

Ena, the eco-friendly salon



Having enjoyed using Davines, an Italian range of hair products that prides itself on “creating beauty sustainably”, I thought I would try out Ena, the eco-friendly salon that is its flagship distributor in Covent Garden.

As soon as you walk through the door of this townhouse you feel as if you have entered a friend’s living room. Furnished in keeping with the heritage of the building, so warm and welcoming, it is the perfect escape from the frenetic streets of London. 


The backwash and he vivid wall-paper designed ceiling,


I met Sam, my stylist who offered me a choice of drinks before beginning the consultation. He told me that he was going to “wrap dry” my hair. This is the method that they always use after cutting a client’s hair. I am a great fan of this technique as it is quick and easy and  manages to build enough volume into the hair while leaving it reasonably sleek without looking too done. 

Sam said that they also teach the technique to clients, who really like it once they have mastered it. “Basically, what you are doing is stretching the hair by wrapping it around the head,” Sam explained. “Keep the nozzle of your hairdryer pointing downwards to stop hair going frizzy and seal the cuticle.”

He began at the back, tilting my head and brushing the hair to one side, then the other. "Wrap the hair over to the right and then push it back to the left, alternating every couple of seconds," instructed Sam. The brush that he used an Allilon (the name of the educational arm of the salon)  has just the right amount of plastic bristles to create tension and smooth the hair. I have since got one (£20) and use it regularly. 




The finished result


If your hair is fluffy or coarse, you may find when you do it at home you need to go over the hair with a round brush to smooth it out. 

My hair was washed with Davines Momo Moisturizing Shampoo and conditioned with Momo Moisturizing Revitalizing Crème which smelt divine. After the superb scalp massage, while staring at the vivid wall-paper designed ceiling, I felt completely relaxed.   

Sam set to work and in no time at all my hair was sleek and shiny. It looked great. Unfortunately, the day I visited, it was damp and rainy. Next morning my locks had reverted to their normal wavy look. It looked very pretty. I’m not complaining, I got two looks for one.

By Daralyn Danns

For more information about the salon visit www.enasalon.com