Friday 6 June 2014

Jeans – so practical so versatile




Jeans are my wardrobe staples especially when I am travelling as you can dress them up and down. I can make lots of outfits with them and it saves taking lots of different clothes with you. They make living out of a suitcase easy, which I have to do on many occasions as I am often in several hotels during the course of one press trip.

Getting them to fit has been really difficult and over the years I have spent a fortune on designer brands of which many did not wear well. One day I was walking down London’s Regent Street and decided to go to Levi’s. I have never looked back. 

Its jeans should be good as it was the company that invented the “blue jean” back in 1873, when a tailor from Reno, Nevada, Jacob Davis, teamed up with Levi Strauss to produce workwear made from blue denim.  In 1918 a tunic/trouser named the Freedom-Alls was launched for ladies.

Fast forward a hundred years or so and this amazing company is still at the cutting-edge of design offering a wide variety of fittings and styles for both men and women. All of which are superb quality.





Levi's high-rise skinny



What style you choose depends on your body shape.  When you are tall, you can wear a variety of styles. If your body is straight up and down you can take a mid-rise. Boot-cut jeans can give the illusion of a curvier form. Hourglass figures tend to suit the classic, wide-legged jeans that have a mid-rise. Pear-shaped look better in high-waist straight ones. And, of course, all rules can be broken. It is a matter of trying several styles on and seeing which suit you the best.

As I am petite I look better in jeans that sit just below my natural waist as low-rise jeans have the tendency to make my legs appear shorter and put the spotlight on my stomach especially after eating.

Needing some new jeans for my travels, I popped into Levi’s and got two pairs of high-rise skinny (they fit on my natural waist which is flattering) in dark denim (£80) and black (£85). They contain 2 per cent elastane which helps give a good fit. I love the sleek silhouette and the way they make my legs appear longer. Coloured jeans won’t have the same effect if you are small. And besides, dark, classic jeans always look elegant.


Levi's high-rise skinny


The length did need altering, but at Levi’s that is no problem. There is no charge for this. On the advice of the tailor I did not go for ankle-length as this shortens the legs. His tip was to roll them when I wanted to look casual and show a glimpse of ankle and keep them long with heels or flats for dressy wear. A case of adapting the trend to suit you.

You can always rely on the team here for advice. Whoever serves you is incredibly helpful and truthful when giving their opinions. I always feel going into this store is like going to see a group of old friends. The assistant manager of this flagship store, Dean Livingstone, has been there for years and knows me well.

I wore the black pair with smart black shoes and a dressy black and white shirt for a “power breakfast” in New York and added a chic bag. I felt appropriately dressed. For running round the shops, I rolled up the bottoms and teamed them with a white T-shirt and casual shoes. A long cardi is good to have for chillier days.

For dinner go for a dressy top or a silk vest underneath a black blazer (make sure the texture is different so the blacks don’t clash) or coloured one if you prefer. You can add a statement piece of jewellery to give the outfit that wow factor.

A well-cut jacket always turns a pair of dark blue jeans into a chic outfit. I find dark blue far more versatile than any other shade.  A white shirt always looks classy with denim. 

The same jeans can be turned into an everyday look by wearing with trainers and casual sweater and shirts. 

Long live denim and Levi’s!

By Daralyn Danns