Tuesday 22 March 2016

Spotlight on Vita Coco Coconut Oil





Coconut oil has been lauded as an effective beauty essential, having a wide range of uses from moisturising the skin, taking off make-up to taming frizzy hair. 

Anything that is said to be multi-tasking, let alone helping to eliminate the “candy floss hair look” is worth trying. 

Having liked the coconut water by Vita Coco, I decided to give its organic, raw, extra-virgin, cold-pressed oil (250ml from £5.99, Selfridges) a whirl. Packed with anti-oxidants, could this jar really be a beauty hero?






After warming up a little up in my hands to liquefy it, I then applied this gorgeously scented elixir to the ends of my hair, put on a plastic shower cap and left it for half an hour. You can leave it on overnight, if you have particularly thick and unruly hair. 

Wash with your regular shampoo and use a conditioner afterwards to smooth the cuticle. Coconut oil is said to be the only oil that actually penetrates the hair. Most hair products only coat the surface and rinse away when you shampoo. Using it can benefit the hair by helping to make it stronger. 

After suffering from a nasty virus doing the rounds, my hair was not in the greatest of condition. When I started to style my locks, I saw and felt the difference immediately. The mirror image flashing back at me showed a healthy, glossy head of hair. I had no flyaways, just sleek and smooth tresses. I have fine strands, albeit a lot of them, but this oil did not weigh my hair down nor did it feel greasy. 

You can also use it to tame any frizzy bits you have the next day. Just pop some on to your hair before you put on your shower cap and when you come out, as if by magic, your hair is lovely and straight again. This is definitely going to be a part of my regime from now on.  

I have also discovered other uses for it. It is great for treating dry hands and feet, especially rough heels and as a lip balm. With any left on my fingers I use it as a highlighter on my cheekbones and to keep my eyebrows groomed.  

You will probably find plenty of other ways Vita Coco Coconut Oil can benefit your beauty regime, so if you are not already hooked, you probably soon will be.

By Daralyn Danns