Monday 26 September 2016

The destination for fragrance and candles at Selfridges



I love scent as most people do. Discovering a fragrance is like going on a journey, there is always something new to stimulate the senses and excite you.

With so many fragrances out there it can be hard to discover the one or ones that work for you. I like to hunt out original scents that are not mass market. 


The destination for fragrance and candles at Selfridges


Selfridges (Oxford Street, London) recently opened a destination for fragrance and candles which has an installation going through it that exhibits key notes such as woody, spice and oriental so you can pinpoint what you like and do not like in a scent be it for your body or home. 

The space is reminiscent of an old apothecary. You can spend hours in this playground testing goodies from great niche brands including exclusive labels such as Spike Odyssey from the fragrance Kitchen, a leathery scent charged with woody notes and “JUSBOX”. Its collection of scents is inspired by old records and music. Another find was the British brand Thameen. Its line is based on Eastern, oriental fragrance oils and has become one of the bestselling fragrance brands at Selfridges. 




One of my favourites is Ormonde Jayne, also sold here. Not often do you smell a scent which you like that stays true when you wear it. As soon as I took my first whiff of Vanille d'Iris (£110), I was hooked. 

When I found out that Linda Jayne, founder and creator of Ormonde Jayne London had created a bespoke perfume for Selfridges I was intrigued.

What would a fragrance that had to have the characteristics of the Ormonde Jayne house, be gender free, have a global appeal and also be of the moment actually smell like? I have to admit I was sceptical. 

Selfridges’ One Parfum (£235) won me over immediately. This luxurious scent opens with cardamom, orange absolute and bergamot accords. At its core is rose, freesia and jasmine absolute underpinned with ambers and wood. It is lovely on the skin and oozes class. I have been stopped a few times by people asking me for the name of the fragrance that I am wearing.



Fornasetti Profumi Gold Burlesque



I was delighted to discover Fornasetti Profumi there. As any discerning candle lover knows its candles are hard to beat. Gorgeously scented they come in stunning ceramic vessels with a lid. Once you have finished with the candle (they usually last for 50-60 hours) you can buy a refill or use them around your home to store things. 

The new decorative element to the existing “Burlesque” collection is a hit with me. “Golden Burlesque” (£125), depicts two opposing sides of the 19th century soprano Lina Cavalieri highlighted in gold. The Italian painter, engraver and sculptor Fornasetti is said to have been obsessed with her. I really love the Otto fragrance, lavender laced with woody notes and incense in my home. It is really lovely and so therapeutic.

Mistero, the latest addition to the range, is a melange of warm wood and spicy aromatic notes. Ideal for the winter months.

Cire Trudon, another amazing candle collection is here. Penhaligons and other interesting brands such as Frederic Malle are also worth taking your time to explore.

This area is like a sweetshop for adults without the calories.

By Daralyn Danns