Monday 16 January 2017

Flying with Etihad Airways


This is not a paid post.


Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, may have only been established in 2003 but it has gained a reputation as being one of the world’s top airlines. 

Check-in at Heathrow was smooth. The team were incredibly friendly. Not only did I get a porter to lift my bag on to the scales – which being petite, I always find a strain – I picked up a couple of tips for visiting Abu Dhabi, my destination and the home of Etihad.

From the minute you board the A380 you get a flavour of warm Arabian hospitality. Attention to detail and the service is extremely good. A lovely stewardess from Glasgow even took my coat and hung it up for me so that I did not have to screw it up into a ball and put it in the overhead locker.



A380


The range of languages spoken on board is impressive from Romanian to Chinese. From speaking to the crew, I found that many had worked for the airline for a long time and were really enthusiastic about their jobs and proud to work for Etihad.   

Etihad’s three-room private luxury suite, The Residence, which accommodates one couple or a single person, comes with its own butler and chef. It may have been what hit the headlines when it was launched last year but fly in the first class apartments and business class studios, on the A380, and you are promised an extraordinary experience as they are reputed to be among the best on offer.    

Its Premium Lounge at Abu Dhabi offers an amazing range of services and facilities including shower rooms and a children’s play area with a trained nanny.



Warm Arabian hospitality



If you fancy a drink, there is a great bar with a knowledgeable bartender as well as an array of delicious hot and cold food including some tempting Arabian sweets. Coffee lovers can indulge at the espresso bar.

You can treat yourself at a day spa or nail salon and if your hair is a mess, a hairdresser is there to ensure you look your best for the flight. If you need to work, there is a well-equipped business area. I really enjoyed whiling away the time here before my flight back to London, Heathrow.

If you are not heading for the top deck, which is reserved for first class and business passengers, you will not be disappointed downstairs in economy. It is rather stylish and spotlessly clean.

Seats were extremely comfortable and had good back support so I did not feel stiff when I got off the plane. Even with two bags on the floor, there was still room for me to stretch my legs out.

A “Sleep Tight” kit, which contains a pair of socks, toothbrush, toothpaste, and earplugs, is provided on longer journeys. There is also a “Do not disturb/Wake me up to eat” eye-mask. Even the loos were much better than on your average flight.

The on-demand entertainment had an extremely good range of films, TV shows and live TV channels as well as audio and games to keep you occupied. You could also improve your geography of the region by following the map of the flight path. There was so much to keep me occupied that I never tried to go to sleep during the almost seven-hour flight. 

Also appreciated were the headsets. They were easy to use, far more comfortable than some I have had in business class with other airlines. You can also purchase mobile and internet services. USB and power points can be found at every seat.

A complimentary bar service is available which included a choice of red or white wine. Menus were given out before take-off so you had plenty of time to decide which of the three options you preferred. I had chicken both on the way out and return flight which was tasty. A snack was served on both journeys prior to landing. Soft drinks, were available throughout the journey.

The time went by so quickly on both of my flights. Etihad, certainly, has got my seal of approval.

By Daralyn Danns

For best fares and more details about destinations and Etihad etihad.com