Monday 17 June 2013

A blow-dry at Lockonego



Having heard lots of great things about the hair salon Lockonego, I thought it was about time I took a trip down the King’s Road in Chelsea to pay it a visit.

Set up by leading stylists, Jonathan Long and Ben Cooke in 2005, this salon is extremely friendly and although it has plenty of celebrities as clients and the team regularly do cover shoots for magazines, it is totally unpretentious. I loved the boutique-y feel and its intimate approach.

My stylist, Amy took one look at my hair and said: “the less you do to it the better,” She went on to say that people now want laid-back styles. “Working with their own natural texture, clients find their hair is much easier to manage,” she added. Mid-length hair is really popular right now.”





Another good tip from Amy is to blow-dry your hair when it is practically dry and then smooth it out with a round brush. “So many hairdressers try to dry hair from wet, resulting in them going over the same piece of hair several times, which actually can do it more harm than good.”

When blow-drying it yourself, she advised drying it forward and, taking sections, use a round brush to smooth it out. “You should find it easier to create tension,” she said.

I like the way that the stylists really talk through your hair and how it behaves before they start work. My blow-dry was superb – the kind of done but not done look that I like.

By Daralyn Danns

Lockonego, 394 King's Road, London,SW1 (www.lockonego.com)