Monday 25 November 2013

Shades of brunette



When I last visited Daniel Galvin in September, colourist Daisy Twyman had taken me darker than I had been for a long time and I have to say I liked it. I could wear more colours and black was back in my wardrobe. I also loved the fact my hair seemed glossier.

Fast forward a few weeks and the sun (I had been away a couple of times) and general wear and tear, my locks had faded to a more coppery brunette. Those kinds of warm tones clash with my skin tone, so I asked Daisy to make me darker. I wanted to add depth and dimension to my barnet. 

Daisy was reluctant to take me too dark and she said it would look too heavy. We also talked about my hair texture. “Darker hair can make frizz look less obvious,” she said, so she suggested we apply the same colour that we used on the roots last time all over the hair and leave it on for longer to take down the yellow. “It will get better each time we do it,” she said.




“Colour can change the texture of the hair,” she added. “If you have thick, curly hair, fine highlights will get lost, so you need to have them made thicker. You should also be careful not to over process the hair. If you have fine hair, you should have them more feathery. They can also give it more body.”

Daisy kept checking my hair every few minutes, so I knew I was in a safe pair of hands. After 15 minutes, she announced that the formula had got rid of the yellow tones and she would not use a toner (neutralises any brassy shades). Instead, she would apply a clear gloss.

The result was stunning. “I can’t wait to see you again to see how this fades,” she said as I left. 

But, for the next few weeks, I will be swishing a beautiful dark mane. Being now close back to my natural colour, I feel more me.  My mother, whom I was meeting for lunch, as soon as she saw me remarked: “Now, you look like you!”

By Daralyn Danns

Daniel Galvin (www.danielgalvin.com)